Thursday, May 28, 2020

Auditions - round 1: Len vs. Francis (revisited)

Since more than half of our readers discovered this blog less than five years ago I thought it would be nice to re-introduce some older stories for those who didn't catch them when they were first published. Enjoy!

 

Previous parts:
Placing the ad


I watched Len as he was sitting on the couch. He was a quiet guy with blond hair and a cute face. But something about him irritated me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

The 20 year old blond had arrived twenty minutes early and I had offered him a cup of coffee.
Len had declined.

He hadn’t wanted tea or a soft drink, either, and when I had asked him whether he would like a beer, he had stared at me as if I had offered him a line of cocaine and a prostitute.

Now, we were sitting opposite each other, waiting for Francis, Len’s opponent, to arrive. Len and Francis were going to fight against each other in the first round of our selection process to find a new model for our website. At the end, there would be only one guy left.

I cleared my throat. “Looks like it’s going to rain”, I said, trying desperately to find a topic Len was willing to discuss.

Before, I had tried everything I could think of, TV, movies, music, politics, the economy.

“I guess the farmers could use some rain”, I added, smiling weakly.

The lanky boy shrugged.

I looked at my watch and sighed.

Read more

No comments: