Sunday, October 13, 2019

On the job: Brandon, fry boy (revisited)

Since more than half of our readers discovered this blog less than five years ago I thought it would be nice to re-introduce some older stories for those who didn't catch them when they were first published. Enjoy!


Featured in this story: Brandon (click for pictures)

I walked into the restaurant. It was rather small, but a typical McDonald’s restaurant in every respect: a large room with seating for fifty or sixty people, a counter with three cash registers, and an open industrial kitchen.

There were no patrons but me, so I walked right up to the counter.

A young, skinny, bored-looking cashier with short blond hair and a freckled face was standing behind one of the registers. Above his upper lip was an amusing attempt at a moustache. I looked at his name tag. Jack. Jack looked like he was nineteen or twenty years old. He didn’t look like he had to shave every morning…

“Hi”, I smiled at him. “I’m looking for Brandon.”

Jack stared at me with a blank expression on his face.

“The Asian guy?” I said.

“Oh, Brandon”, Jack said.

Pause.

“I’m looking for him”, I said, smiling.

Read more

No comments: